Co-Chaired by Sylvia Perez, MSU OIB-TAC, and Nancy Miller, VISIONS
If you would like to receive communication and updates on committee activities, please send an email to PublicAwarenessemail@example.com to sign up for the listserv.
One Year Plan
- MSU select ad agency for public awareness campaign by Jan. 1, 2021
- Reach out to the Reframing Institute to get feedback for campaign. Include AVLNC info as well. (Jan. 30, 2021)
- Enlist 50 agencies to disseminate the awareness flyer to their aging and social service networks and track results of referrals-start with VSA members0- (Feb. 1, 2021 for dissemination and report back results on 8/1/2021)
- Develop awareness campaign and toolkit (MSU) and disseminate (7/1/2021)
- Ensure that at least 50 agencies in 10 states have the awareness toolkit and training on how to promote awareness and use the tools. (Nov. 1, 2021)
Time To Be Bold Campaign
Time To Be Bold is a national public service awareness campaign through the Independent Living Older Individuals who are Blind Technical Assistance Center at the National Research and Training Center on Blindness and Low Vision. The OIB-TAC and this campaign are funded by the Dept. of Education Rehabilitation Services Administration, which also funds services and training for individuals with visual impairments, including vocational rehabilitation (VR) and the Independent Living Older Individuals who are Blind (OIB) programs nationally.
The TimeToBeBold campaign is designed to educate, engage and empower people who are 55+ with low vision to maintain/regain their independence by utilizing the free or low-cost services provided by the RSA-funded OIB programs.
- Over 3 million Americans 55 and older have difficulty seeing even when wearing glasses.
- Almost 1 in 10 individuals age 75 or older reports difficulty seeing, even when wearing glasses.
- Each U.S. state and territory offers free or low-cost services to help individuals adjust to vision loss.
- It is estimated that less than 5% of individuals with vision loss, who are eligible for services seek them each year.
- It can be challenging to find services, which is one major reason we created this campaign.
Go to timetobebold.org for a list of free or low-cost services in your state that will give you the tools, technology, training, and support you need to live your bold, best life.