Founded in 1908, Prevent Blindness has become the nation’s leading volunteer eye health and safety organization dedicated to fighting blindness and saving sight. Focused on promoting a continuum of vision care, Prevent Blindness touches the lives of millions of people each year.
Our mission is to prevent blindness and preserve sight.
We provide information, resources, and technical assistance; influence public policy; help shape public health systems of care.
- We increase awareness and educate the public on the importance of taking care of their eyes.
- We advocate for public policy and resources that ensure everyone has affordable, accessible, and quality eye care options; these include preventive vision screenings, comprehensive eye exams and appropriate treatment, and low vision devices.
- We provide patient support through education and awareness campaigns, free/low-cost eye care assistance through industry partnerships, and programs that empower individuals living with vision challenges – and their caregivers.
- Our National Center for Children’s Vision and Eye Health is strengthening public health systems that advance a continuum of vision care for young children by helping states strengthen screening protocols, improve access to exams and treatment, bolster capacity for surveillance and develop measurements for success.
- We serve as a resource for public health professionals on areas related to eye health through an annual national eye health summit, webinars, allied health education, surveillance efforts, research grants, and professional recognition awards.
Visit us on the web: https://www.preventblindness.org/