Who is American Printing House for the Blind?
Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world’s largest nonprofit organization creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and low vision.
There’s no other place like it. Creating things that make a real difference in people’s lives is what we do.
Mission: A world leader in empowering people who are blind or low vision by providing accessible and innovative products, materials, and services for lifelong success.
ABIDE: Here at the American Printing House for the Blind, we live by the motto, “Welcome Everyone”. Many modern organizations value diversity and inclusion: we choose to go further, understanding that more must be done to foster a sense of belonging in our institution. To that end, we are committed to advancing accessibility and belonging, as well as inclusion, diversity, and equity in all aspects of our workspace, and to enriching our company with our distinct life experiences.
The Business Development Manager will be a highly motivated and energetic professional who will identify new business opportunities, develop strong relationships with potential clients, and create strategies to increase demand for our products at APH. This position is responsible for managing the expectations of our Customer Test Providers, Braille and Large Type Financial Documents, and Custom Requests for Braille and Large Type products while developing proposals and contracts and managing negotiations.
Reporting to the Business Development Director, the Business Development Manager will have strong communication and negotiation skills, a comprehensive understanding of the business development landscape, and the ability to generate innovative solutions to meet the needs of our customers while working closely with our production team, sales team, customer service team, and others to ensure streamlined processes and communications are in place to provide customers with unique and high quality products.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, execute, and oversee a business strategy that prioritizes growth and positive customer ratings.
- Develop and lead staff.
- Provide full life cycle leadership and support to custom products and test products.
- Set business development goals and identifies, establishes, and maintains KPI (key performance indicator) reporting to monitor progress aligned to corporate goals.
- Create, analyze, negotiate, and execute an array of contracts for various transactions. Build and maintain relationships with vendors, clients, and other business connections. Maintain contract-related documents and correspondence.
- Work with Business Development Director in preparing contracts and annual Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), ensuring adherence to law-established guidelines and expectations.
- Lead and facilitate meetings, set priorities, and coordinate with internal departments to ensure critical production and shipping deadlines are met.
- Contact potential clients and arrange meetings to establish business relationships.
- Conduct research to identify new markets and customer needs as well as creating an APH capabilities presentation.
- Maintain files in accordance with company policies and procedures, monitoring and maintaining documents for the full life cycle while identifying process improvements to the workflow and reporting.
- Assist Business Development Director with special projects, campaigns, market research, and data assistance.
- Develop strong understanding of company products and services as well as business position.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional work experience in business development management or managing sales or marketing teams; preferably nonprofit.
- Experience in braille processes or have a willingness to learn.
- Ability to manage high volume orders and work on tight deadlines.
- Ability to build relationships and interact professionally with all levels of internal and external contacts.
- Sharp negotiation and networking skills.
- Excellent critical thinking and organization skills; strong ability to manage multiple projects and/or tasks simultaneously.
- Must be motivated, proactive, a problem-solver, and can work through tasks independently.
- Must possess excellent and professional oral and written communication skills.
- Must exercise discretion and confidentiality.
Compensation and Benefits
$67,000 – $84,000 | Salary is negotiable dependent upon experience.
- Accessible, Diverse, and Inclusive Workforce
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Employer
- Health Insurance covered at 80% for employees – plans include family planning benefits
- HSA Plan and FSA Plan – both include company contribution!
- Competitive Dental and Vision Plans
- Health and Well-being initiatives
- 401(k) Plans with company match and immediate vesting
- Company provided Short Term Disability
- Basic Life Insurance at no cost to employees
- Voluntary Life Insurance with Accidental Death and Disability
- 4 weeks PTO
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Educational Assistance and Professional Development Opportunities
- Optional Hybrid Work Schedule
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
How to Apply
APH is a drug-free workplace. An offer of employment is conditioned upon successfully passing a drug screening test.
American Printing House for the Blind provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, prohibiting discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to disability status, race, color, religion, age, genetics, protected veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, political affiliation, or other non-merit-based factors protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.